The Super Visa in Canada is for foreign parents and grandparents of a Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents. Parents and grandparents under the Super Visa benefit from not having to jump through the hoops of applying for a temporary resident visa, instead with the Super Visa they are able to fly in and out of their home country and Canada as much as they would like for the duration of the visa.
The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa for Canada allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit Canada for extended periods. As of June 18, 2018 the guidance for Super Visa holders has been updated to reflect that each entry to Canada should be for a duration of up to two years and extensions should be for one year.
Since first being introduced in 2011, the Super Visa has allowed many thousands of international parents and grandparents to come to Canada for extended periods, benefiting families and communities across the country, not just socially, but economically too.
There are a couple of conditions that must be met in order to apply for the Super Visa:
- You must have an invitation from a host in Canada (i.e. your child or grandchild). The host must meet a minimum income threshold, as they are responsible for your financial support while in Canada.
- You must pass a medical examination.
- You must have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year. Applicants must show proof that they have purchased private medical insurance coverage from a Canadian insurance provider
The insurance policy must:
- be valid for at least one year;
- cover health care, hospitalization, and repatriation;
- provide a minimum coverage of $100,000;
- be valid for each entry to Canada; and
- Be available for review by an officer at a Canadian port of entry.
The process of applying for and obtaining the Super Visa can be quite tedious. Hence, many people the peace of mind that comes with having a qualified and experienced immigration consultant to guide them through the process. That’s why we are here!
Book a consultation with Wise Advice to get further details!