In January 2015, Citizen and Immigration Canada launched a new program called the Express Entry Program which replaced the old ‘first-come, first-serve’ process.
The express entry program is an online system which manages Canada’s immigration applications intake. Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria, submit an online profile known as Expression of Interest under one of the 3 Federal Canada Immigration programs or a participating provincial immigration program to the Express Entry Pool.
Express Entry CRS System
All skilled immigration applicants that are eligible for the Express Entry System will be placed in a pool of candidates. Candidates in the pool are then ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The CRS is used to determine which applicants in the pool will be invited to apply for permanent residence.
The CRS is a points-based system that calculates scores of a candidate based on the information in the candidate’s profile. The highest ranked applicants will then be offered an invitation to apply for permanent residence (ITA) during period draws.
Salient features of Express Entry: (Changes as of June 6, 2017)
- Additional points for good French Skills
- Points for siblings in Canada: Additional 15 points if you (or your spouse or common-law partner who will come with you to Canada) have a brother or sister who is living in Canada and a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- It is now voluntary to register with the Job Bank.
If you meet the minimum entry criteria for Express Entry, you will be automatically be placed into the pool and eligible for invitation rounds right away.
- New approach to rank candidates with the same CRS score: The Express Entry system ranks candidates in the pool by their CRS score. In case of a CRS tie, the system will then rank all tied candidates based on the date and time that they submitted their profile.
Who are affected by these changes?
- You are not affected by the Express Entry changes if you have already received an ITA. Your application will be processed based on the rules in place when you received your ITA.
- If you think you are affected by these changes you can update your Express Entry profile by answering any new questions added to the system. Upon completion your CRS points will be revised.
The Comprehensive Ranking System Calculator has been made more user friendly for applicants who want to create their Express Entry profile. The updated CRS calculator helps you calculate your points and determines what your points will be under the new point system.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada currently quotes a processing time of approximately six (6) months to finalize the application.
How can we help with Express Entry Applications?
These are the key elements to any application and will need to be sufficiently demonstrated should you hope to be invited for permanent residence. Providing the right documentation is the most essential part of an application.
We can help you prepare and submit your express entry file custom made specific to your case.