As the world increasingly progresses to online service, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is also revamping how it processes applications. In January 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada has announced that they will be launching a new program entitled Express Entry.
The Express Entry category is an electronic and online system that manages applications for permanent residence for certain Economic programs. The Express Entry will also facilitate a faster processing time as Canada seeks out ways to increase economic stability through immigration.
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System Changes
CHANGES TO COMPREHENSIVE RANKING SYSTEM CRS
The Express Entry System is an online application process that is created to pick out skilled workers from foreign countries that are applying through one of the federal economic programs for immigration purposes. The Express Entry allows employers to find skilled foreign workers through assessing their skills and experiences through a profile and a point based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
As you are aware on November 19, 2016 recent changes have taken place on how points are calculated. These changes apply to persons that apply through one of the federal programs such as Federal Skilled Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class and the Canadian Experience Class.
EXPRESS ENTRY IMPROVEMENTS
- Points accumulated for a job offer has changed
- You can now earn total of 50 points if you have valid job offer in NOC 0 (management jobs), NOC A (professional jobs)or NOC B (technical jobs)
- You can get up to 200 points if you have valid job offer in NOC 00 occupations (Senior management occupations)
- Job offer duration has changed from permanent to a minimum of one year upon becoming a permanent resident
- You can now earn CRS points for education in Canada that is above high school
- You can receive 15 points for one or two year diploma or certificate program
- You can receive 30 points if you have degree, diploma/certificate (3 years or plus)
- You can receive 30 points for master’s degree, professional or doctoral degree of at least one academic year
- Applicants have been given more time to complete application for PR upon getting invitation to apply. The extension is now 90 days from 60 days.
- If you are on a specific LMIA-Exempt Work Permit and thinking of changing your temporary status to permanent status you don’t need to go through the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to earn points for your job offer by CRS. These include individuals that fall under North American Free Trade Agreement, Federal-Provincial Agreement, Mobilite Francophone and Intra Company Transferees. To be eligible as the candidates you need to have at least one year of work experience from the same employer who has provided the job offer
IS EVERYONE AFFECTED BY THE EXPRESS ENTRY CHANGES?
- You are not affected by the Express Entry changes if you have already received invitation to apply (ITA). Your application will be processed based on the rules in place when you received your ITA
- If you think you are affected by the change you can simply go on your Express Entry profile by answering any new questions added to the system. Upon completion CRS will update your points on the system
WHO CAN GET POINT FOR A JOB OFFER?
|Yes you can get Points for Job Offer||No, you cannot get Points for Job Offer|
|NAFTA||Post-Graduation Work Permits|
|Intra Company Transferee||International Experience Canada (IEC)|
|LMIA Work Based Work Permits||Work Permits issued to Spouses/Common-Law Partners of foreign workers and international students in Canada|
|Canada-Provincial/Territorial issued Work Permits||All other Open Work Permits|
|Other Work Permits issued under the significant benefit to Canada initiative|
ARE APPLICATIONS UNDER PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAMS AFFECTED BY THE EXPRESS ENTRY CHANGES?
If you have applied through one of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) and received an Invitation to Apply (ITA) you will continue to get 600 points. Also, new plans have been set for 2017 by the government of Canada that is aiming to welcome 51,000 immigrants through the Provincial Nominee Programs. There is good news for applicants that want to apply under the PNP, new plans have been set by the government of Canada to welcome 51,000 immigrants through Provincial Nominee Program. Many changes are taking place so keep yourself updated to avoid missing out on great opportunities to Canada.
COMPREHENSIVE RANKING SYSTEM CALCULATOR UPDATED
The Comprehensive Ranking System Calculator has been updated and easier to use for applicants that want to create an Express Entry profile. The new and improved CRS calculator helps you calculate your points and help you determine what your points will be under the new point system.
Express Entry will allow Citizenship and Immigration Canada to actively recruit, assess and select immigrants under the following economic programs:
- The Federal Skilled Worker Program
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program
- The Canadian Experience Class
The Express Entry category is divided into two stages.
STEP 1 – CANDIDATES COMPLETE ONLINE PROFILE
If you are interested in applying for this category, you will need to complete an online Express Entry profile. This is basically a questionnaire which will ask for information pertaining to your:
- Work Experience;
- Language Ability;
- Education, etc.
If you meet the qualifying requirements, your application will be placed in a database of other candidates and will be ranked accordingly based on these qualifications. Only those who:
- Rank the highest; and
- Have qualifying offers of arranged employment; or
- Provincial/Territorial Nominations; will be selected by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
If you do not already have a job offer or Provincial/Territorial Nomination, you must register with the Government of Canada’s Job Bank which will direct you to eligible Canadian employers. If necessary, employers will need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada. However, they will be exempt from the $1000.00 government processing fee for permanent residence applications under the Express Entry system.
Please note that just because you complete an online profile does not mean that you are guaranteed an invitation for permanent residence in Canada.
STEP 2 – CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION CANADA INVITES CANDIDATE TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE
Once you have completed your online profile, if you rank among the top in your pool, based on your skills and experience, you will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Those who have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer or Provincial or Territorial Nomination will be given high scores in the ranking system.
Once you have been invited to apply for permanent residence, you will have sixty (60) days to submit your electronic application under one of the following programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP);
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP);
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC); or,
- A portion of the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Those who do not get invited within twelve (12) months of having an online profile may re-enter a pool, providing that they continue to meet the criteria.
How We Can Help with Express Entry 2015
The Express Entry program is a new method of obtaining permanent residence. It is the hope of Citizenship and Immigration Canada that this new methodology will prevent backlogs and ensure quick processing times.
Regardless of the new method of applying for the economic classes, the qualifications of each of them remain fundamentally the same and focus on:
- Intended occupation;
- Your experience;
- Your skills and credentials; and
- Your adaptability to life in Canada.
These are the key elements to any application and will need to be sufficiently demonstrated should you hope to be invited for permanent residence. Providing the right documentation goes far beyond the minimum requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Prepare your application in advance, assess the merits of your situation and have your supporting documents prepared so that when January 2015 hits – your application is ready for submission.
Contact us and we would be happy to help you get a head start on Express Entry!